What a GREAT couple of weeks we have had in Summer Band- so much has taken place, and there’s so much ahead in this FINAL week before school starts!
First, THANK YOU to all of our amazing band board parents and student volunteers who helped make band registration run so smoothly- we could not have pulled it off without each of you who chose to spend a Saturday donating your time to LHABC! So, again, THANK YOU!
And congratulations to Sharice Locke, who won a $20 Spirit Wear voucher in our registration checklist raffle!
Parents, if you were unable to attend registration this past weekend, you MUST attend makeup registration this Friday, Aug. 17 from 5 to 6:30 p.m.; please see our past emails for what to bring to that.
Mr. Chavis sent an email update Sunday morning with some important dates and info- please read that email thoroughly! As per his email and our calendar at https://lhabc.org/calendar/ here is what this week looks like:
- Mon 8/13: 7 to 11 am – Summer Band; SNOW CONES afterward!
- Tue 8/14: 7:30 am – DRUMLINE performs at RISD Convocation
2:30 to 6:30 pm – Summer Band
6 pm – LHABC Board Meeting in the Orchestra Room
7 pm – MANDATORY LHABC General Meeting in the Band Hall
ALL DAY… Mr. Rees’ birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MR. REES!!
- Wed 8/15: 7 to 11 am – Summer Band
1 to 4 pm – Summer Band
- Thu 8/16: 7-11am Band pictures/rehearsal
4:30-7pm Stadium rehearsal
8pm Pep Rally – Drumline ONLY will be performing (same dress as tomorrow’s Convocation) – all others will be dismissed at 7pm
- Fri 8/17: 7 to 11 am – Summer Band
12:30 to 4 pm – Summer Band
5 to 6:30 pm – Makeup Registration
5:30 to 6:45 pm – LHABC Family Social- bratwurst/hot dogs and Famous Potato Salad Contest
6 to 6:45 pm – Senior Parent Meeting
7 pm – Parent Preview performance in the stadium, followed by Kona Ice fundraiser
- Mon 8/20: Classes begin
Please note: Mr. Chavis makes every effort to keep the calendar on LHABC.org up to date, but sometimes there are unforeseen, last-minute changes. If your band student has new schedule info, it’s probably accurate and was shared that day in Summer Band. If their info conflicts with the online calendar, don’t hesitate to ask us- we’re always happy to answer your questions!
WOW!! Do we have a fun and busy week ahead… finish STRONG, Wildcat Band! Here is some important info to take you through this last week of Summer Band:
- Our Snap Raise fundraiser is doing GREAT (over $16,000 in under a week- WOOHOO!), and we still have a few weeks to keep sharing with potential donors! If you haven’t spread the word, please do- you’d be surprised how many people are happy to donate, and every little bit adds up!
- Share your student’s personal Snap page, or this one for the entire band: https://www.snap-raise.com/fundraisers/lake-highlands-band-2018
- Homecoming is a month early this year, and that means that MUM SALES and VARSITY REVUE ad sales/audition applications are in the works NOW! Please refer to the email info that went out about those so you can be up to date about these important LHABC fundraisers! Please use this link to sign up to help with Mums: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f44aeaa2d6-mumtable
- If you have a SENIOR BAND STUDENT and you didn’t attend registration, please contact Wendy Waggoner, our lead Senior Parents chair for LHABC so your band student can reserve a letter (she’ll tell you what that means!)… and make sure to attend the Senior Parent Meeting this Friday at 6 pm!
- TUESDAY, 8/14 we have two important meetings in our band hall:
- BOARD MEETING, 6 PM in the Orchestra Room
- MANDATORY GENERAL MEETING, 7 PM in the Band Hall- we hope everyone can attend!
- Please make sure your band student has BLACK ANKLE SOCKS before school starts- no logos, please. This is required during the first several, hot weather games, when students will march in their summer uniform.
- Does your band student have FOOD ALLERGIES??? Please email that info to LeaAnne Pillers, our LHABC Meals chair. She needs to know about any arrangements she needs to make as she plans to feed our kiddos this year!
- Have you registered to be a volunteer? RISD has a new system for doing background checks, so please use this link to register so you are able to volunteer with LHABC: http://www.risd.org/group/community/VolunteerOpportunities.html
- Speaking of volunteer opportunities- please be on the lookout for upcoming info listing our signups for various events. We will send links via email, our Facebook page, and Remind
- And speaking of Remind– parents and students should sign up to BOTH of these for updates from LHABC and our Band Directors:
- LHABC: text @k7efa8 to 81010
- Band Directors: text @lhband1819 to 81010
We CANNOT wait to see the Parent Preview performance- it’s always so impressive to see what our kids are learning, and if your family is new to Marching Band, prepare to be amazed by how many new skills have been packed into these few weeks of Summer Band! All of this hard work (and we know it’s hard… those days are long and hot) truly does pay off.
As always, we welcome your questions, so please reach out if there is anything we can help with!
Amy Daryani 972-841-5005
Sherwin Daryani 972-824-1691
LHABC Co-presidents, 2018-19